Cat litters are a must have for cat owners. They make cleaning after your cats easy and mess-free. They also keep the odors from your cats’ waste from your home. However, you might make the situation worse if you do not buy the best cat litter. Some have very strong scents, poor absorbency, and even worse odor control. However, you can avoid this by doing intensive research on what the market is offering because the result is worth it. Below are key factors that you should consider before buying a cat litter followed by a list of the top 10 best cat litters reviewed in 2017.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Cat Litter
- Clumping: How well does the cat litter clump? This determines how easy scooping will be and the probability of making a mess.
- Odor Control: How effective is the cat litter in odor controlling? Is it long lasting? This determines how fresh your house will be.
- Moisture Absorbency: Can the cat litter absorb all the moisture? Will you have to deal with moisture getting to the bottom of the litter?
- Flushable: Will you be emptying the litter in your trash bin or flushing in the toilet? Will it clog your toilet?
- Biodegradable: Is what you are buying environmentally friendly?
- Scents/Perfumes: This is very important. Is the cat litter scented or unscented? Will you have to deal with irritating scents or perfumes?
- Multi-Cats Use: If you have several cats, it is better you go for the multi-cats use option
- Dust-Free: The cat litter must be healthy for you and your cats. Always go for a dust-free litter.
10. ProSense Cat Litter, Fresh Results, Crystal Silica Litter, 8-Pound
Pro-Sense presents to you the best cat litter, offering all the necessary needs of a cat and its owner. Every cat owner hopes to get a litter with the best moisture absorbance, best odor control, lightweight and safe for their homes and pets. And, with this cat litter, you get all this and more! It features a non-clay formula that’s made from the silica crystal helping it in providing an intense absorption thus totally locking in the moisture and odors. This means that you will have an easy time scooping and you won’t have to block your nose from the smells found in other litters.
The dehydrating crystals featured in it gives you the best dehydrating action thus improving odor control. This makes it ideal for multi-cat households as you are guaranteed maximum odor control and even if you are late to scoop, you will still have an easy time doing it. You will be able to improve your cats’ environment by making it friendlier as even the cats dislike the bad smell of their waste. And, with the featured clean scent, your home will smell fresh around the clock.
- Has a clean scent
- Totally safe for both pets and homes
- Provides intense absorption for both odors and moisture as it has a non-clay formula that’s made from silica crystals
- Provides an improved odor control as it has dehydrating crystals
- Ideal for multi-cat households as it has a maximum odor control thus extending the litter life
- You can use it with scoop free
- It’s not supposed to be flushed, but this is only because you will end up clogging your pipes. It’s like flushing sand down your toilet. The litter is totally biodegradable so it should be emptied in the trash
For a dust-free, perfect absorption, intense dehydration, and maximum odor control, this cat litter here is your best deal. It will make your cat love every minute in it, and you will love it even more as you will have the easiest time scooping. It also features a clean scent that helps keep your house fresh all through.
9. sWheat Scoop Clumping Cat Litter, Multi-Cat, All-Natural Clumping Litter
For multiple cat owners, this is the best cat litter for you. It will make caring for all your cats easy, and you will actually like it. No matter how long you take to scoop, and no matter the number of cats are using the litter, your house will always remain fresh and odorless. This cat litter is a life savior for people with tight schedules as scooping may slip your mind sometimes. The sWheat Scoop Clumping Cat Litter, Multi-Cat, All-Natural Clumping Litter clumps very fast to form solids thus making scooping super easy.
This is every pet-owners wish. It offers a long-lasting odor control meaning that one bag will take you a long way thus saving you some money. It is also totally biodegradable which makes it environment-friendly thus appealing for most cat owners and it veterinarian recommended. This means that you can be totally confident that you are buying a great product. Importantly, the cat litter features no dyes or perfumes so if there are some perfumes that you are allergic to or don’t like. You have nothing to worry here.
- It is flushable
- Clumps fast thus easy scooping
- Offers a long-lasting odor control
- 100% biodegradable cat litter
- Ideal for multiple cat homes
- Veterinarian recommended
- No added perfumes or dyes
- Isolated complaints of the price being a bit higher but this is what you expect from such a great product
This cat litter never disappoints. It is made from particularly naturally renewable wheat. This means that you have zero worries in terms of health and environment, as it contains no harmful chemicals or perfumes. It perfectly and naturally neutralizes odors on contact to keep your home totally fresh and for a long time. It clumps well for easy scooping and cleans up quickly.
8. ökocat Clumping, Natural Wood Cat Litter
The ökocat Clumping, Natural Wood Cat Litter, is not only better for you and your cat but the environment as well because it is totally biodegradable. The only materials used in making it are the 100% renewable and sustainable wood fibers. It is also flushable in your toilet, which means that they won’t be laying somewhere affecting the environment. If you are an environment enthusiast, then here is your product.
Everything about this cat litter is all natural. It naturally (without chemicals, dyes, or scents) traps and binds odors and liquids effectively 24/7 leaving your home with a fresh smell of natural wood scent. This makes it preferable by most pet-owners. Its high absorbency means that all the litter will stay dry and last longer. This is helpful for those who do not scoop every so often. With superior clumping, you will have an easy time scooping or cleaning without creating any mess.
- Provides 24/7 odor control
- It has a superior clumping capacity making scooping and cleaning less messy and easier
- It absorbs up to 500% its weight thus keeps the litter dry thus lasting longer
- It is flushable
- Antibacterial (kills 99.9% of bacteria while fighting any bacterial growth)
- It is Biodegradable
- Produces a fresh, natural wood-scent but this is the best scent that can ever come from a cat litter
This is the best cat litter that you can ever purchase. Health wise, it is unbeatable as it is antibacterial and biodegradable which is great for environmental purposes. It has a superior clumping, which makes scooping or cleaning super easy. Its absorbent level is unbelievable (5x its weight), and this leaves your home odorless.
7. Feline Pine Cat Litter, Original
Your cats will certainly love this Feline Pine Cat Litter. It is lightweight for easy digging but not dusty. Also, it is chemical free which makes it healthy for both you and your cat. These are the primary requirements for any good cat litter. It is also highly absorbent which means that you will not have to deal with the liquid waste which might be hard to pick up especially when using gloves.
About odors, this cat litter has the most effective natural way of neutralizing all of them. You will not smell urine nor cats’ stools, and you even don’t need to keep your windows open. This litter does not clump. Instead, it turns to sawdust (which is not dusty at all), and you can easily scoop it and flush it down your toilet with ease. It is actually far better than clay. And, the best part is, if your dogs use litter boxes, they will also love it.
- Ideal for multi-cat use
- Lightweight (20 pounds)
- Neutralizes all strong odors in contact naturally
- Highly absorbent
- No silica dust
- No tracking
- Scoops fully
- It does not clump but if forms sawdust which is not dusty at all making it easy to scoop then flush down the toilet
This is a great cat litter. Has a natural scent, no tracking granules, and scoops fully. It also has zero chemicals which make it safe for your pets and has no silica dust. It is highly absorbent and flushes easily down the toilet.
6. Purina Yesterday’s News Cat Litter, Unscented
If you thought Clay has the best absorption capacity by volume, this cat litter here proves otherwise. Its absorption capacity is 3-times that of clay which makes it stand out among all the other litters on the market. Besides, this Yesterday’s News cat litter is unscented, so you won’t have to deal with irritating scents in your house. Secondly, it is made with all recycled paper, so if you like recycled stuff, then you can safely add this to your list.
What makes it even safer to buy is the fact that it is U.S. veterinarian and The House Rabbit Society recommended. So, even if it is your first time to purchase one of this kind, this should give you more confidence. If your pet has sensitive paws, again this should be the product for you. It contains super soft paper pallets, which give the cats an easy time digging more so for those with sensitive paws. It is also 99.7% dust free which makes it even safer health wise.
- Made with recycled paper
- Non-clumping cat litter
- Unscented cat litter
- S. veterinarian recommended
- By volume, 3-times more absorbent compared to clay
- Has an effective odor control
- Super-soft paper pallets making it ideal for sensitive paws
- 7% dust-free
- It is not flushable. Just put it together with your garden/yard trash as it is recyclable and can be used on gardens as much
This is the number one U.S. veterinarian, and The House Rabbit Society recommended cat litter. It is 99.7% dust free which makes it healthier for you and your cats. It has a great absorbent capacity (3-times that of clay), and it is unscented making it ideal for all cat owners. Its odor control is super effective, and the super-soft paper pallets make it perfect for sensitive paws.
5. Blue Buffalo Naturally-Fresh Cat Litter
The Blue Naturally Fresh Cat Litter is the best when it comes to odor control. In fact, once you introduce it to your pets, you will forget how urine smells and any other odors coming from cat litters. It is the best solution for anyone who has not been lucky enough to get a litter that actually works. When it comes to absorbency, this litter here gives you the best, and it is also long-lasting.
This means that you can scoop later without worrying about making a mess. It has a low tracking, and it is available in different formulas thus suiting various households’ needs. This means that the buyer has a chance to get a “custom” made cat litter for his/her home and cat. So if you don’t like a certain scent, you can get a different one. Its clumping power is unbeatable. You will love it!
- It is made of walnut shells
- Provides an incredible odor control
- Offers a long-lasting absorbency
- It is dust-free
- Low tracking
- Available in different formulas thus suiting various households’ needs
- The litter smells like walnuts when poured out first, but the smell fades away quickly after
Apart from the little smell of walnuts that comes out when you pour it, there is nothing else to dislike about this litter. It clumps well, scoops easily, low tracking, perfectly controls the cats’ waste odor and is dust-free. There is nothing more a cat owner or the cat needs. Just this.
4. Purina Tidy Cats Clumping Cat Litter, Lightweight, 24/7 Performance
With this cat litter by Purina Tidy Cats, you will never have to worry about poor clumping or irritating odor. The litter has the best clumping. It effectively absorbs both the odor and liquid giving you odorless solid clumps that are easy to scoop. It contains some powerful odor-fighting agents that quickly neutralize odors from both liquid and solid waste.
Your house will never have the urine smells again no matter how many times your cat visits its litter box. You get to enjoy instant, multi-faceted and long-lasting freshness in your home even if you have several cats. This cat litter is half the weight of any clumping litters on the market. It is thus easy to carry, store or use. This also makes it easy for your cat to dig and bury its waste. And, just because it is lightweight doesn’t mean that it gets used up quickly than the heavier options. Its weight doesn’t affect how long it lasts.
- Solid clumping
- Powerful Absorbent
- Light and tight clumps thus easy scooping
- It is 99.9% dust free
- Gives a 24/7 performance
- Has a continuous odor control
- It’s not scented, but it does not need any scents to absorb the odors which it does perfectly
For odorless home and solid clumped waste, go for this cat litter. It is unscented and works around the clock to absorb any liquids, clump all the waste and neutralize any odors. It is lightweight, and your cats will love digging in it. It is 99.9% dust free despite it being lightweight and gives you an easy time scooping.
3. Arm & Hammer Litter, Seal Clumping and Multi-Cat Clump Litter
Everyone loves their cats, but very few people can tolerate the odor that comes out of their litter box especially after the cat defecates. This odor can be so bad that not even opening all the windows can eliminate it and this is where Arm & Hammer comes in. They have created one of the best cat litters that aim at keeping your home fresh no matter how many times your cats visit their litter boxes. They came up with a Seal Clumping and Multi-Cat Clump Litter whose aim is to make you have even more cats without forgoing the need for an odor-free home.
Clumping with this cat litter is amazing. Not even a trace of moisture finds its way to the bottom of the litter box. It also completely seals the odor such that even when in the same room with your cat, you won’t know that it just did the “did” unless you see it by your eyes! It is that effective. First thing is to seal and second is to destroy the odors. The cat litter also features extra-strength formula making it ideal for multi-cat homes.
- Has a new, softer feel
- Features extra-strength formula making it ideal for multi-cat homes.
- Gives solid clumps, no tracking, and low dust
- This is a complete odor sealing litter
- It has the best clumping capacity
- Ensures that no moisture gets to the bottom of your litter box
- Guarantees a 24/7 odor-free home
- Isolated complaints that little pieces get left as you scoop, but this only happens if you use a large scoop with wide slits
This cat litter here will give your cats a new and softer feel, so they will enjoy their using it. It features extra-strength formula making it ideal for multi-cat homes. It completely seals then destroys the odor making it the best option for your home. It clumps super-fast and solidly giving you an easy time emptying the litter box.
2. World’s Best Cat Litter, Featuring Quick-Cat-Clumping-Formula
This cat litter is made from the whole-kernel corn making it a forest-scented natural cat litter. It actually the only cat litter of this nature on the market. The whole-kernel corn gives it the best natural absorbency making it clump fast thus giving you the easiest time scooping. This same feature gives it an outstanding odor control ensuring that your home remains fresh around the clock. Because of this, cleanup is also simplified making you a happy cat owner while your cat enjoys using it even more.
It is the only cat litter with a naturally absorbent structure on the market. It is thus in a much better position to keep all the nasty smells and odors inside the litter. It also clumps very fast ensuring that no odors escape from the litter box. It is the best clumping plus easy scooping solution that you can ever come across. The fact that it is 99.9% dust-free means that you can keep away your scooping mask not will you find any traces of dust around your house coming from the litter. Your cats will also like as it is super soft, so they will enjoy digging in it. And it is super-light for effortless carrying and using.
- It is 99.9% dust-free
- Gives quick and solid clumping thus easy scooping
- Has an outstanding odor control. Adds the whole-kernel corn natural absorbency
- Delivers a natural wood fiber gentle fragrance
- Features 100% natural wood fibers
- Isolated complaints of the price being a bit higher but this is what you expect from such a great product
In a nut-shell, this cat litter is very absorbent, totally dust-free, super soft, and super lightweight. It is the best cat litter on the market in terms of components and ease of use. It clumps and absorbs perfectly. You will have the easiest time scooping. No smells, no pieces left.
1. Precious Cat Ultra-Premium Clumping Cat Litter
The Precious Cat Ultra-Premium Clumping Cat Litter features heavy non-tracking granules which make it preferable by most cat owners. This cat litter has unique features such as perfumes less and deodorants less. This makes them so much better than the regular cat litters that neither you nor your cat looks forward to the smell that is released after the cat has done his/her business. Some of these perfumes are so strong that you need to keep your windows open and the cats run away immediately after urinating. Some cats won’t even go near them!
Another important feature with this cat litter is that your cat has zero chances of making a mess as it is designed to be 99.9% dust-free. This is because it’s manufacturers’ use heavy, non-tracking granules so less mess. Also, because of the quality of the granules used, no moisture ever reaches the bottom of the litter box, and you will have an easy time emptying it. The absorption level of these non-tracking granules is high, and they never disappoint. The cat litter is also ideal for anyone and any cat because it is hypo-allergenic as it contains no plant proteins. It is the best all-natural clumping cat litter on the market.
- It’s an all-natural clumping cat litter
- Contains no deodorants or perfumes
- It’s hypo-allergenic thus no plant proteins
- Ideal for mechanical/sifting litter boxes
- With this cat litter, no moisture can reach the bottom of the tray or litter box
- It is 99.9% dust-free
- Uses heavy non-tracking granules thus less mess
- It is unscented as most people are used to, but it does not any scents to help in keeping the odors down
In general, you avoid dust clouds, your cat enjoys using his/her litter box, you have an easy time emptying it, no disturbing deodorants or perfumes, and you get to use it perfectly whether you have any allergies or not as it is hypoallergenic.
Every cat(s) owner hopes to get the best cat litter, and I bet cats wish for this too. A good cat litter makes caring for your cats easier and fast as scooping and odor control can be a big deal sometimes. With the above list of the ten best cat litters reviewed in 2017, you will land the best cat litter easily and enjoy every moment with your cat(s).